Thursday, March 25, 2010

Reading Wish List

I love a good fiction book. There's nothing quite like curling up in bed, on the sofa, or on a lounger by the sea, and spending a few hours immersed in a whole other world. I especially love stories that take place in other cultures and eras - ones that give me a glimpse of a world I could never live in (and sometimes wouldn't want to, but it's fascinating nonetheless.) Books like The Kite Runner, or Memoirs of a Geisha.

Right now, however, there are only so many hours in the day, and there is much to learn and be inspired by! Therefore, unfortunately, The Life of Pi is sitting half (quarter) read on my nightstand, and is topped by titles such as Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and Super Baby Foods, and of course, the must-have AAP guide to kiddos from birth to age five.One can't count reading these types of books as 'me-time', but they are interesting and valuable resources and an investment in my child's health and well-being.

Also blurring the lines of a good read for me are books on organizing. I have a shelf or two in the office dedicated to these great resources, and there are a few I wish to add. In no particular order, my current wish list includes:
The Organized Mom: Simplify Life for You and Baby (Stacey Crew) 
The Rookie Mom's Handbook: 250 Activities to Do with (and Without!) Your Baby (Heather Flett)
The Diaper Diaries: The Real Poop on A New Mom's First Year (Cynthia Copeland)
(Funny how the word poop has sneaked its way into my everyday vernacular, huh? I used to use that word on VERY rare occasions. And they say reading increases your vocabulary... guess it all depends on what you're readin'!)

1 comment:

pandora said...

Ah, yes. I still remember those days of being a young mom. When the only books I read were by Dr. Seuss and P.D. Eastman and my living room was filled with toys and baby things. You are raising Pax in such a wonderful decade. You have such a wide selection of baby accoutrements to fill your home with. Soon enough you will find yourself a minimalist again. Enjoy the clutter. There is no greater privilege or source of joy in life than being a mom.